Sunday, March 31, 2013

Millennials and Social Security

New York Times Editorial Board Sunday, March 31, 2013

So as we were approaching the fiscal cliff of 2012, President Obama was calling for a reduction in the COLA for Social Security recipients. Social Security is going broke. A theme I have been hearing and reading for pretty much my entire adult life thus far--yet time and time again it seems our legislators keeping passing the issue on instead of acting.

Where has the millennial voice been on the issue of Social Security? I'm hopeful it's a sleeping bear. I'm hopeful as more of us begin to realize the tremendous financial burden our country faces circa 2033, we will begin to see more incentives for younger generations to save for their golden years. As a young professional having only been in the work force for almost 9-years, how many more years will go by until I don't have to feel like my Social Security taxes aren't being thrown into an abyss? 

No comments:

Post a Comment