Sunday, May 19, 2013

Facebook hiatus; it is what it is.

Facebook, it is what it is, or IS it?

After a near 6-month hiatus from the iconic social-media platform we all know as Facebook, I have reactivated my account. While I can honestly say I didn't miss it at all, I continued to run into instances where it was annoying to 'not' have an account. That being said, I found other platforms such as Twitter and LinkedIn to be much more impactful.

Twitter and LinkedIn serve as my personal news outlets and connections to organizations I'm involved with, colleagues, and friends alike. In my opinion, Facebook became noise--the timeline lost it's chronological order, more advertisements began appearing, and trying to manage the privacy settings were like being dropped into a third-world country where you didn't know the language.

Getting back to my 'annoying' comment--I have become more involved with a couple organizations, and without my connection to Facebook, I did not have the means to reconnect with old friends and acquaintances that I'd like to circle back with and get involved. In that sense, it almost seems like Facebook is your mailbox to the world, almost as important as your physical address. Regardless of where you end up personally and professionally, Facebook and other social-media platforms, seem to be the glue that binds us. Especially when you think about the demographics, one of the fastest groups growing on Facebook is within the Baby-Boomer generation---first they learned how to txt, now they're embracing Facebook, but most have no idea how to Tweet, or have a profile on LinkedIn.

So to wrap this all up, and to summarize my hiatus, it is what it is, Facebook seems to be the most powerful social media platform going. Is Twitter better?? I think so, but Facebook seems to be constant in all social interactions--so bring on the baby pictures folks!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment