Sunday, April 14, 2013

The NRA and their iiWii ways

"We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness"

If those words don't sound familiar, I can't help you.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

If those words don't sound familiar, I can't help you.

What I can do, is hope that every American takes some time to look at this current debate individually. And to take it a step further by trying to isolate mass-murders and the NRA's overwhelming need to line the pockets of countless state and federal legislators, let alone their own NASCAR race. If as an individual, you have difficulty understanding a common-sense approach to purchasing lethal fire-power, which includes expanding background checks, I say again, I can't help you.

The discourse in this Country has gotten out of hand on pretty much every issue that comes to the Floor of our Capitol Building. My thought on the issue--we had the words of our nation's independence long before the 2nd Amendment, "with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

Think about those words the next time you hear about an innocent person(s) killed due to gun violence. What about their life? Their pursuit of Happiness? If your pursuit of Happiness includes owning a gun or cache of weapons greater than your average SWAT team, then I can only hope you have to go through a mandatory waiting period, and a more extensive background check.

Until then, I suppose the NRA will continue on their path of, "iiWii, we have our 2nd Amendment right," while our brethren in Newtown, CT, Aurora, CO, Blacksburg, VA are undoubtedly struggle, and unfortunately may never find again, their pursuit of Happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment