Almost as cliche as 'it is what it is', we have another old saying 'Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.' I caught that phrase the other day in a friend's post on Facebook referring to the United States' potential future action in Syria.
The images... horrifying. The chaos...unimaginable.
Thinking about the situation in Syria, in light of President Obama's decision to seek Congressional approval to use military force, and having watched and read through the transcript of his 31AUG13 remarks, I've tried to break the situation down to the most elementary level--that level----2 constants reside in this world, they always have and unfortunately always will---Good and Evil.
Relying solely on the variety of media reports both on television, online, Twitter, etc... it is becoming increasingly clear that Bashar Al-Assad falls on the Evil side of the line. And when I think about the history of the United States, the principles on which our nation was founded, and for the blood our Armed Forces have shed for nearly 3 centuries, all are unquestionably on the Good.
With that, I believe the US must act with a proportional response (West Wing reference). If I put myself in the role of a US Congressman, I'm standing by my President with a Yea vote. Regardless of what happens, i.e. we do nothing, or we launch a missile strike, I'm afraid we're damned if we do, or damned if we don't.
In closing, below you'll find a Wordle of President Obama's speech from yesterday--some of the key words definitely stand out. My favorite--people. For all of you who've been posting to Facebook, Tweeting your anger, etc... write an email to your Congressman this week, with a Yes or No on Syria. "For the people, by the people.'' -- iiWii.

No comments:
Post a Comment